Friday, December 28, 2018

Why Blog About Cycling?



I thoroughly enjoy anything that pushes me physically (except running...unless Chick-fil-a is involved). That's why I like CrossFit.  It's challenging and I leave feeling like I have accomplished something awesome enough to remove the guilt and shame of consuming a big bowl of Bluebell ice cream. Even though I'm a creature of habit, I do enjoy trying new activities.  So when a friend from the gym asked me if I was up for riding gravel roads with her, I immediately agreed.  I wanted to see how my ability in the gym translated to something different; truth be told, I just wanted to see if I could keep up with a seasoned cyclist who could easily lap me.   

When I agreed to ride with Lori, I had no idea what to expect. I prefer trails, handling downhills, and maneuvering around trees. The thought of sitting in a saddle doing the same monotonous motion without the thrill of dodging a tree seemed overrated.  

This one-time gravel ride quickly turned into weekly rides.  Lori would ask if I would be up for another ride and I would show right back up.  She has been gracious enough to answer all of my questions and even put up with my frequent grumbling.  This grumbling is often from a distance because I tend to be chasing her more often than not.  



                                                                  
My mountain bike


Our first ride went great! The only problem was I felt like I was working ten times harder than Lori and I could barely keep up, especially on the climbs.  I knew that she was going to stay ahead of me for the majority of the ride but I didn't expect to lose sight of her more than once.  Was it me? Was it the bike? Or just a healthy combination of both? 

One thing I did notice that caught my attention was how different our bikes were.  Handlebars, wheels, suspension, etc.  I started asking questions and picking her brain, but her answers didn't suffice.  Truthfully, I wasn't convinced that a bike made that much of a difference.

Image result for women's cannondale gravel bike split fork
Lori's cadillac

                                                                


When our local bike shop caught wind that I (a newbie) had been frequenting the gravel roads with Lori (a veteran cyclist), they approached me and asked if I would be interested in documenting my experience.  They wanted to know what it would be like from a rookie's perspective. 

I'm not a blogger.  I have a few talents but blogging is NOT one of them. But when a good opportunity comes at your way, you jump on it. A "gift" of mine is the ability to not say "no". Combine the two and you have created the perfect storm.

So I'm blogging and documenting my experience(s).  I know very little about all of this so I feel very much like a newborn giraffe trying to walk, but I'm learning and enjoying the process along the way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment